Downloadable Ebook Troubleshooting FAQ
When I download my ebook I get a dialog box saying, "Unknown File Type" and asking me what I want to do with a file called UrlLink.acsm.
You need to install the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) reader. First cancel the dialog box and then see below for instructions on installing ADE. Once installed you should return to the ebook download page to start the download again or, if you closed the window, log on to your ebook library and re-download the ebook.
When I click on the download button nothing happens even though the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) reader is installed and running.
Sometimes the ADE reader hides a dialog box asking if you want to open or save a file called UrlLink.acsm. Minimize ADE and maybe even your browser until you see such a dialog box. Select "Open File" on the dialog box and hit OK. Bring up ADE and you should see your book start to download.
I open the UrlLink.acsm file and Adobe Digital Editions starts up, but nothing else happens. I don't see a download progress bar, my book does not appear and I don't get an error message.
Firewalls can prevent the download from occurring. If you are running special firewall software please see instructions for that product on allowing new programs to access the internet. If you are running the Windows firewall follow these instructions:
- Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Windows Firewall and open it
- Click the "Exceptions" tab
- Click "Add Program"
- Select Adobe Digital Editions from the list of programs
- Click OK twice so you no longer see the firewall dialog
- Try downloading your book again
The Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) reader is giving me a message that says, "E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER," and won't let me download my book.
Downloaded ebooks are tied to whatever Adobe ID was used to authorize your computer for downloads (see below for instructions.) If you do not create or use an Adobe ID to authorize your computer the ebooks are tied to a unique ID on that computer until ADE is authorized.
- If your ebook has never been downloaded by you or anyone else to your knowledge and you see the above error, please open a W. W. Norton Help Desk Request and someone will help you get your book installed.
- If someone else bought the ebook for you and ended up downloading it to a different computer they must either share their Adobe ID and password with you or, if they did not authorize their computer, they must do so by creating an Adobe ID, authorizing their computer and then sharing the ID with you to authorize your computer.
- If you are attempting to install an ebook you purchased to a second computer you must authorize ADE on both computers using the same Adobe ID, even if you only wish to read it on the second computer.
How do I install the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) reader?
- Go here: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions
- Locate the button in the middle that says, "Install"
- Push the button and follow the prompts.
- We highly recommend that you authorize your copy of ADE when prompted, but you can click cancel at the prompt. If you click cancel you will not be able to download and read your purchased ebook(s) on any other computer. See above for more about this.
How do I authorize my computer for use with Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) reader?
- Open ADE
- Click "LIBRARY" on the menu bar at the top and select "Authorize Computer"
- Follow the prompts