Essentials of Geology
with Ebook and SmartWork registration card
Superior visuals and up-to-date research help students to see the world like a geologist.
The Fourth Edition offers a streamlined, engaging approach to geologic processes, presented through visuals, photographs, and text, as well as discussions of modern science phenomena.
Carefully crafted visuals, both in print and digital formats
In Essentials of Geology, the art tells a story. Stephen Marshak combines visuals, photographs, and captions to take students step by step through a geologic process. Marshak has taken his innovative What a Geologist Sees feature online in SmartWork —with 50+ interactive exercises. A new real-world video collection (available online and on DVD) shows geology in action, and interactive animations let students experience geologic phenomena firsthand.
A visual media package that keeps students on track
SmartWork offers a comprehensive range of questions and activities, including labeling, drag and drop, hot spot, and What a Geologist Sees questions. Norton Coursepacks include quizzes, videos, animations, and Geotours, powered by Google Earth™, that take students on virtual field trips around the globe.
Coverage of modern science issues
The Fourth Edition of Essentials of Geology includes cutting edge content on climate change, the Japanese Tsunami, Hydrologic Fracking, and more. New monthly PowerPoint updates make it easier for instructors to cover newsworthy geologic phenomena just a few weeks after they occur.
Streamlined and accessible
Chapter openers with chapter objectives help students prepare and understand the goals of the chapter. Take-home messages in each section help students understand the big points and summary sections at the end of each chapter make it easy to study and review. “Did You Ever Wonder” questions throughout each chapter keep students engaged.
The ebook, and access to SmartWork, is automatically included with every new copy of the book.
Prelude: And Just What Is Geology?
1. The Earth in Context
2. The Way the Earth Works: Plate Tectonics
3. Patterns in Nature: Minerals
Interlude A: Rock Groups
4. Up from the Inferno: Magma and Igenous Rocks
5. The Wrath of Vulcan: Volcanic Eruptions
Interlude B: A Surface Veneer: Sediments and Soils
6. Pages of Earth’s Past: Sedimentary Rocks
7. Metamorphism: A Process of Change
Interlude C: The Rock Cycle
8. A Violent Pulse: Earthquakes
Interlude D: The Earth’s Interior Revisited: Insights from Geophysics
9. Crags, Cracks, and Crumples: Crustal Deformation and Mountain Building
Interlude E: Memories of Past Life: Fossils and Evolution
10. Deep Time: How Old is Old?
11. A Biography of Earth
12. Riches in Rock: Energy and Mineral Resources
Interlude F: An Introduction to Landscapes and the Hydrologic Cycle
13: Unsafe Ground: Landslides and Other Mass Movements
14. Streams and Floods: The Geology of Running Water
15. Restless Realm: Oceans and Coasts
16. A Hidden Reserve: Groundwater
17. Dry Regions: The Geology of Deserts
18. Amazing Ice: Glaciers and Ice Ages
19. Global Change in the Earth System