Media Editor- Biology & Geology
W. W. Norton & Company is seeking a Media Editor for the biology & geology college textbook teams:
Working closely with this highly collaborative group, the Media Editor will be responsible for the effectiveness, quality, and timeliness of teaching, learning, and assessment supplements that support textbooks in these areas. These positions will report to the Editorial Director for Digital Media.
Essential job responsibilities include:
• Understanding the relevant disciplines in college publishing and the diverse needs of adopters and students throughout the country.
• Planning, developing, and implementing pedagogically-useful and innovative content to be used in primarily digital supplements for teaching, learning, and assessment.
• Creating budgets and development timelines to correspond with editorial, sales, and production schedules and the needs of the market.
• Collaborating closely with editorial colleagues to ensure quality and timeliness of materials.
• Finding, signing, and communicating with supplements authors and subject matter experts for a wide variety of editorial projects.
• Soliciting feedback from the market and incorporating this feedback into current and future editorial projects.
• With the help of an associate editor and an editorial assistant, closely monitoring projects at all stages of editorial development and production.
• Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, and vendors, and effectively communicating ideas to colleagues including the college department editorial board and the advertising and marketing departments.
• Clearly and compellingly presenting digital supplements to the Norton sales team and to faculty on campus, at focus groups, and at academic conferences.
• Communicating the specifications for, and functionality of, supplements to fellow editors, designers, production managers, programmers, and software developers.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
• Must be able to work full business hours.
• At least three years prior experience in college publishing is strongly preferred. The ideal candidate will have a strong college sales background and/or editorial experience.
• Must be highly disciplined and self-motivated.
• Must have a keen understanding of the teaching and learning needs of college professors and students.
• Superior verbal and written communications skills are essential.
• Must have a “can-do” attitude and be proactive and flexible in a rapidly changing environment.
• Must be organized and detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy and minimal mistakes.
• While travel is moderate, Media editors must be willing and able to travel several times per year throughout the United States and Canada. Travel includes attending academic conferences and Norton sales conferences, providing on-campus sales support, and recruiting authors on college campuses.
• Must have a demonstrated interest in the challenges and opportunities of digital media as it applies to teaching and learning.
• Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Proficiency with Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
If interested, please e-mail a cover letter and résumé to: Recruiting. PLEASE INDICATE WHICH MEDIA EDITOR POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR IN THE SUBJECT LINE
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.