The Countryman Press is looking for a high energy editor to work on 15 to 20 books a year. The right person thrives in a fast-paced environment, is always on the lookout for potential book ideas, and is interested in (but certainly not limited to) the categories of practical how-to, nature, outdoors, travel, and active living. Only innovative thinkers who can tap into current trends (or create some), identify new markets, and have fun with style and format need apply. Experience finding and working with writers is required. Quirky and passionate hobbies are a plus. This position is located in the New York office.
Countryman (an imprint of W.W. Norton) publishes books in the categories of cooking, gift and humor, travel, pets, home and garden, sports and outdoors, and more. W. W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. For more information, visit us online at: http://www.countrymanpress.com/.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Acquire and edit 15 to 20 books a year, including both home-grown and agented projects, reprints, and reissued backlist titles
• Manage every stage of production from conception through design, and work closely with sales and marketing to ensure the project has the best chance of success
• Develop new series, discover new markets, find new ways to acquire books you would want to buy yourself
• Take an active role in expanding the editorial vision of Countryman
• Bachelor’s degree
• 2 to 5 years editorial experience
• A proven track record of turning ideas into books or articles
• Experience and skill writing copy and presenting ideas
• Top-notch verbal and written communications skills
• Comfortable in a small-company setting where you may be called upon to perform duties outside of your job description
• Great time management skills and the ability to multi-task across departments, activities, and projects
• Must be able to work at full business hours in our NYC location
• Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the U.S. is required
• Interest in, and knowledge of, Countryman titles
Please note that these job descriptions are not designed to cover all activities required of the employee
To apply, please email your resume, with a short cover note in the body of the email to: Recruiting. Please be sure to indicate the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line.
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.