Director of Custom Publishing, College Department
W. W. Norton’s College Department is seeking to fill the position of Director of Custom Publishing. This position requires managing the current custom editorial and sales team and providing strategic leadership for the college department’s custom business initiatives, particularly in the digital realm. The position also requires knowledge of the end-to-end textbook publishing process, including contracts, permissions, sales, editorial, project editorial, design, production, product development, and IT. The job will require close collaboration and coordination with internal stakeholders from each of the aforementioned teams with an eye toward timely delivery to the customer and maintenance of Norton’s high standards for quality control. Finally, business acumen efficiently managing the custom publishing process with an eye toward driving new sales while effectively controlling costs is essential. This position is based out of our New York office.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Manage the current custom editorial and sales team and coordinate the team’s work with members of the contracts, permissions, sales, editorial, project editorial, design, production, product development, and IT departments.
• Provide a strategic vision for optimizing Norton’s customer-facing custom publishing website and execute that vision (possibly in collaboration with outside vendors) with an eye toward optimizing user experience and driving new adoptions and sales.
• In collaboration with others, develop new strategies and a business plan for digital delivery of Norton’s content and online learning products, with an eye toward driving new adoptions and sales.
• In collaboration with the existing editorial team, identify new growth potential for Norton’s content and online learning products and execute a business plan to maximize that potential with new adoptions and sales.
• Keep up with market conditions and competitive industry trends and shape Norton’s custom business strategy accordingly.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
• Must be able to work full business hours Monday-Friday in our NY Office.
• At least five years’ experience in higher education publishing, including management experience.
• Extensive knowledge of the market for custom-published content for higher education in both print and digital formats and the process for developing and delivering that content to the customer.
• Extensive knowledge of educational technology in higher education, particular in the realm of product development and/or customization.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Organized with strong multitasking and time management skills.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to work with cross-functional teams.
• Persons with prior experience managing a custom publishing team are preferred.
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter and résumé to: Recruiting. Please be sure to indicate the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line.
Please note that these job descriptions are not designed to cover all activities required of the employee
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.