Editorial Assistant, Biology
W. W. Norton & Company is seeking an Editorial Assistant to support the editor of digital and print content for college biology courses.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Management of manuscripts in all stages of production – Sending manuscript to be reviewed by college instructors. Setting and adhering to schedules. Preparing manuscript for copyediting and production.
• Telephone and message management – Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, marketing, and sales staff to relay messages, follow-up on requests/information and in general, anticipating when to proactively act on messages (including relaying messages with a sense of urgency).
• Document management – Copying, printing, emailing. Organizing and maintaining files.
• Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects and/or office responsibilities.
• Data Management – Extracting data from internal web based information portals. Aggregating data from various sources. Information gathering and following up.
• Project management – Collaborating with and providing support to media editorial team to move numerous different projects forward in order to meet publishing deadlines.
• Market research – Assisting media editor with research on market trends in online learning.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
• Must be able to work full business hours.
• Excellent organizational, verbal and written communications skills.
• Must be able to anticipate needs and deliver timely, relevant solutions and actions.
• Must be able to develop rapport and relationships with all levels of employees. Must be seen as knowledgeable and capable of handling sensitive, critical information.
• Must be proactive, flexible and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment and adjust with a “can-do” attitude.
• Must be self-directed and independent.
• Must have good time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking and prioritizing across departments, activities, and projects.
• Must be detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy and minimal mistakes.
• Must have a demonstrated interest in the challenges and opportunities of electronic media as it applies to education and/or learning.
• Must have strong research skills.
• Must have a passion for learning new software programs.
• Subject matter expertise is not required, but applicants should note whether they have taken any college-level biology courses.
• Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Google Docs. Proficiency with both Windows and Mac OS. Proficiency with Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
• Mastery of email, calendar management, and file management tools.
To apply, please email a cover letter, and your resume to: Recruiting. Please be sure to indicate the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line.
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.