Editorial Assistant, College
W.W. Norton & Company is seeking an Editorial Assistant to support the Editors for college textbooks in Composition.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Management of manuscripts in all stages of production – Sending manuscript to be reviewed by college instructors. Preparing manuscript for copyediting and production. Checking art manuscript and creating photo logs for manuscript.
• Project Management – Maintain schedules and deadlines as set by editorial managers. Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects and/or office responsibilities. Maintaining records to editorial standards.
• Professional customer and author relationship management – Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, marketing, and sales staff to relay messages, follow-up on requests/information and in general, anticipating when to proactively act on messages (including relaying messages with a sense of urgency).
• Document management – Emailing, scanning, faxing, copying, and printing. Organizing and maintaining files.
• Data Management – Extracting data from internal web based information portals. Aggregating data from various sources. Information gathering and following up.
• Light editing.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
• Must be able to work full business hours from our New York City office.
• Excellent organizational, verbal and written communications skills. Strength with MS Excel a must.
• Must be able to anticipate needs and deliver timely, relevant solutions and actions.
• Must be able to develop rapport and relationships with all levels of employees. Must be seen as knowledgeable and capable of handling sensitive, critical information.
• Must be proactive, flexible, and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment and adjust with a “can-do” attitude.
• Must be self-directed and independent.
• Must have good time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking across departments, activities, and projects.
• Must be detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy and minimal mistakes.
• A passion for publishing and the ambition to succeed in the field is strongly preferred.
• A background and interest in English, Composition, and Rhetoric, is preferred but not required.
• Mastery of email and calendar management tools, specifically Outlook.
• Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
To apply, please email a cover letter, and your resume to: Recruiting. Please be sure to indicate the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line.
Please note that these job descriptions are not designed to cover all activities required of the employee
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.