Media Editor, Economics
W. W. Norton & Company is seeking a digital media editor for its economics college publishing team. Working closely with the book editor, the digital media editor will be responsible for the effectiveness, quality, and timeliness of the digital media Norton creates to support economics textbooks and courses. This position will report to the Associate Director for Digital Media.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Understanding the undergraduate economics course markets in college publishing and the diverse needs of adopters and students throughout the country.
• Planning, developing, and implementing pedagogically-useful and innovative content to be used in digital products for teaching, learning, and assessment.
• Creating budgets and development timelines to correspond with editorial, sales, and production schedules and the needs of the market.
• Collaborating closely with editorial, digital design, production, and IT colleagues to ensure quality and timeliness of materials.
• Finding, signing, and communicating with authors and subject matter experts for a wide variety of editorial projects.
• Soliciting feedback from the market and incorporating this feedback into current and future editorial projects.
• With the help of an editorial assistant and editorial associate, closely monitoring projects at all stages of editorial development and production.
• Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, and vendors, and effectively communicating ideas to colleagues including the college department editorial board and the advertising and marketing departments.
• Clearly and compellingly presenting digital products to the Norton sales team and to faculty on campus, at focus groups, and at academic conferences.
• Communicating the specifications for, and functionality of, digital media to fellow editors, designers, production managers, programmers, and software developers.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the US is required, as company will not pursue visa sponsorship.
• Must be able to work full business hours.
• At least four years prior experience in college publishing or comparable experience creating digital products in other industries is strongly preferred. The ideal candidate will have strong extensive editorial experience as well as subject matter and market experience
• Must be highly disciplined and self-motivated.
• Ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize
• Must have a keen understanding of the teaching and learning needs of college professors and students.
• Superior verbal and written communications skills are essential.
• Must have a “can-do” attitude and be proactive and flexible in a rapidly changing environment.
• Must be organized and detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy and minimal mistakes.
• While travel is moderate, media editors must be willing and able to travel several times per year throughout the United States and Canada. Travel includes attending academic conferences and Norton sales conferences, providing on-campus sales support, and recruiting authors on college campuses.
• Must have a demonstrated interest in the challenges and opportunities of digital media as it applies to teaching and learning and be eager to uphold Norton’s high standards of content quality in all projects.
• Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Proficiency with Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
To apply, please email a cover letter, and your resume to: Recruiting. Please be sure to indicate the title of the job you are applying for in the subject line.
Please note that these job descriptions are not designed to cover all activities required of the employee
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.