Editorial Assistant, Sociology
W.W. Norton & Company is seeking an Editorial Assistant to support an editor of college sociology textbooks.
Essential Job Requirements:
• Management of manuscripts in all stages of production: sending manuscript to be reviewed by college instructors; setting and adhering to schedules; preparing manuscript for copyediting and production; checking art manuscript and creating photo logs.
• Telephone and message management: professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, marketing, and sales staff to relay messages; following up on requests/information; and anticipating when to proactively act on messages (including relaying messages with a sense of urgency).
• Document management: faxing, copying, printing, e-mailing, and organizing and maintaining files.
• Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects and/or office responsibilities.
• Auditing: applying for book ISBN numbers and copyright and checking textbook and ebook prices across sources.
• Data management: extracting data from internal web-based information portals and aggregating data from various sources
• Bachelor’s degree
• Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the U.S.
• Ability to work full business hours
• Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communications skills
• Ability to anticipate needs and deliver timely, relevant solutions and actions
• Ability to develop rapport and relationships with all levels of employees and be seen as knowledgeable and capable of handling sensitive, critical information
• Proactive, flexible, and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment
• Self-directed and independent
• Good time-management skills
• Ability to multitask across departments, activities, and projects
• Detail-oriented, making sure that all daily activities are handled with accuracy
• Mastery of e-mail and calendar management tools, specifically Outlook
• Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
Qualified candidates should apply by emailing a cover letter and résumé to: Recruiting. Please be sure to indicate the job you are applying for in the subject line.
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.