Italy Ancient and Modern
For centuries Italy has exuded a mythical aura: in no other country do
antiquity and modernity, history, art, landscape, and the graceful art
of living seem to merge and coexist with such simple elegance as in
this land steeped in over two millennia of cultural heritage.
The climate, the landscape, the cuisine, and the conviviality of the inhabitants make it a rich source of visual imagery. In this third volume in their trompe l’oeil practice series, Ursula E. and Martin Benad paint an inspiring picture of Italy ancient and modern and, drawing on the diverse aspects of its traditions, provide a rich cornucopia of ideas for creating striking interiors. The Benads cover:
- how to design and build up a landscape step-by-step;
- how to create authentic-looking antique frescoes;
- the best way to arrange a still life;
- the essential components for creating Pompeian motifs for stylish entrance halls, Tuscan landscapes for kitchen and dining areas, and Venetian vistas for luxurious bathrooms;
- how to paint a ceiling in the style of Tiepolo, and what distinguishes it from the skies of Giotto or Mantegna;
- how to create a “Mediterranean” atmosphere; and much more.
The book is a treasure trove of pictorial motifs, painting technique, and design ideas, and it offers a wealth of useful advice on using trompe l’oeil painting in a way that is practical and at the cutting edge of modern-day design.
- March 2008
- 9.1 × 9.1 in
/ 96 pages
- Territory Rights: Worldwide
Endorsements & Reviews
“[W]hether you’re an artist, an interior designer, or a homeowner...you will [refer] to this book over and over again….[B]eautiful.” — Nicole V. Gagné, Traditional Building
Also by Martin Benad
Also by Ursula E. Benad